Zachary A. VanDyke, PA
Panama City Attorney
850-851-0864 Se habla espanol
Menu / Navigate

child custody and support Archives

What if my former spouse quits working?

A previous post on this blog discussed how difficult it can be to figure out how much income each parent of a child makes so that a court can determine the proper amount of child support each parent should be responsible for. Particularly when a parent does not make regular income, is self-employed or otherwise get paid in cash, challenges in calculating income are relatively easy to come by.

What counts as income for Florida child support purposes?

Previous posts on this blog have provided an overview of the state Guidelines which family court judges in Florida will use in order to determine how much child support a parent must pay for the benefit of any children they have but who do not live with them.

Who do relocating parents need to notify per Florida law?

This blog has previously discussed how a Panama City parent's decision to relocate can affect child custody and visitation orders, depending heavily on the circumstances. Some Florida custodial parents and noncustodial parents may wonder whether and to what extent they even need to tell the other parent that they are moving.

Parenting: Child custody and natural disasters

Living on the Gulf Coast, one thing you have to worry about is the damage a hurricane can cause. Depending on your situation, you may be in Florida at all times of the year or only temporarily. Additionally, you could have your children there regularly or only once in a while.

An overview of Florida's child support guidelines

Like most other states, Florida has legal guidelines for helping judges in the courts around Panama City and statewide determine the correct amount of child support to order a parent to pay. The idea behind these guidelines is to make sure that child support orders are as consistent as possible across the state, and that both children and their parents have the financial means of support they require.

How can Florida parents protect their children during a divorce?

Emotionally stable parents in Florida and nationwide are better able to focus on their children and their relationship. They do not have to worry about the possibility of fights or issues between their spouse, which, even done outside of a child's presence, could have an emotional impact on the parents while they spend time with their children.

Maintaining a strong bond between father and child in Florida

Decades ago, the role of each spouse in a home was far different in many households in Florida and nationwide than it is today. Years ago, it was presumed that the female of a home would take on the role as caretaker of the home, and would care for children if applicable, while the husband would work.

Why courts focus on the best interests of the child

It is not uncommon while going through divorce proceedings involving children to hear the courts talk about the best interests of the children. While the philosophy of course sounds noble, it is inherently vague. What exactly is meant by the "best interests of the child" and how can this philosophy in court affect decisions such as child custody, child support and even property division?

Denying access to your child: A mistake to avoid

When you have a child in your custody but also have a parenting plan you're supposed to follow, the last thing the court wants to see is your refusing visitation to the other parent. Unless there are extreme circumstances, like situations involving abuse, there is no reason you should violate a court order.

Reasonable and fixed visitation

When two parents in Florida decide to end their relationship, it can be a very emotional time not only for them, but also for any children they have. While sometimes a parenting plan can be reached out of court, other times the parents need to turn to a judge to issue a child custody and visitation order. In general, there are two types of visitation: reasonable visitation and fixed visitation.


Zachary A. Vandyke, P.A.
502 Harmon Ave
Panama City, FL 32401

Phone: 850-851-0864
Fax: 850-215-6459
Map & Directions

Begin Moving Forward Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Back to Top